If you’re not using Twitter to market your business, you’re missing out. It provides a high amount of value 140 characters at a time.
Twitter is often misunderstood, and can frustrate users who aren’t used to writing with brevity. But the truth is that it is a great way to build your platform and expand your business. It’s also a great way to stay current on industry news and information.
Keep these tips in mind when it comes to using Twitter the right way:
- Find And Follow – You’re looking to meet all the right people to help your business. Twitter is the right place to connect with your ideal customers, and others in your industry. In order to do this, you can use a third party site such as Twellow to target your search, or browse the “Who to follow” section.
- Organize – Once you find hundreds or thousands worth of people to follow, the Twitter stream moves fast. Blink and you might just miss something valuable, or important. The best way to prevent this is to organize those you follow into lists, to make sure you catch the Tweets you’re really looking for.
- Be Discovered – Twitter hashtags (which are just pound signs) allow your tweets to be discovered by a wider audience. Users can search hashtags as a way to find all messages on a given subject.
- Share Away – Your readers are looking for new information about your industry. When you find something you like from another source, retweet it. When you write an awesome blog post (and they all are) make sure that you post a link. Even if you’re a business, you can also tweet about your interests. Show us that you’re human. Speaking of being human…
- Interact – Now’s not the time to be shy. Once you start following the right people, make sure to interact and be social. People can be weary of accounts that thrive solely on self-promotion. Now is the time to reach out and make new connections.
- Expand Your Horizons – Take advantage of the industry resources readily available on Twitter. Spend a little time investigating new websites and blogs. Who knows, you might actually learn something new.
- Participate In Chats – Twitter is home to several chats, which revolve around using the same hashtag in your tweets at a given time, to participate in a community. They’re a great way to meet people with similar interests. If you’re a blogging business owner, I’d highly recommend #Blogchat, which meets at 8 p.m. Central time.