Digg is having one of their quarterly Townhall Meetings tomorrow (Thursday, August 13th). The team at the Social Blade Show will be there and will focus their show on discussing what’s new, what was discussed, and how it will affect the Digg community.
Here are the current top-dugg questions:
- Will users ever be able to comment on the new types of ads? This could be an effective way of getting feedback on an ad directly from the users themselves.
- even if they must stay – no sound ads, please
- Any plans for an official Digg iPhone App? I’d buy that for a dollar.
If not, do I need to build one myself with your fancy, recently updated API?
- Kevin, last townhall you said the Upcoming section “might potentially be going away” and that a new digg which delivers a more customized experience is on its way. Unfortunately, Jay had to stop you before you revealed too much. Any updates on the big changes? Would you tell us something Jay doesn’t want you to?
- Some sites cannot appear on the recommendation engine regardless of who submits or diggs them. Why is this? I’d be happy to demonstrate, so please don’t say “The recommendation engine presents different sites to different people.”
There are sites that absolutely do not appear to anyone on the recommendation engine. I have analyzed analytics for dozens of sites – some that get 10 diggs will get at least a few referrals from the recommended pages, while other sites with the same analytics can get over 100 diggs, yet mysteriously zero referrals from the recommendation pages. Many of the sites we’ve tested were once regularly on the Digg front page getting thousands of Diggs. Now, they haven’t been able to hit for months, even years. If they’re blacklisted, why not just ban them and get it over with?
- The new digg ads are a welcome change. I even turned off Adblock Plus for them. However, doing that just reminded me how terrible the regular ads are. I know it’s a long shot to ask for them to be eliminated, but could you at least put some kind of limit on how annoying the ads you run are?
- In an earlier townhall, you guys seemed to have misunderstood the “You have already dugg this story” dialog box question. Most of us understand it is technically infeasible for the digg count and dugg status to update automatically in realtime, but why not allow the stats to update *instead* of popping a dialog box?
I understand that the dialog pops to inform the user that the story in question has already been dugg, but the stats don’t automatically update after the dialog is cleared. The page has to be manually reloaded for the stats to update.
With multiple stories open in a few tabs, and the comments open in others, I run into this dialog far too often. After using the diggbar in one tab, and making sure I dugg it after commenting, “You have already dugg this story” gets on my nerves. Just update the stats! Or reload the page! Don’t pop an unnecessary dialog without updating the stats. Kthx.
@SFBrian knows what I’m talking about. We discussed it at the Seattle Neumos meetup.
- Fix the bouncing comment box, please.
- Here’s my question:
I can understand eliminating shouts. After all, they were getting pretty spammy.
However, having no way to contact your friends while onsite is even more frustrating.
Could you at least please provide one-on-one personal messaging? The code for that probably already exists in the shouts feature, and shouldn’t require a lot of tweaking to implement.
Thanks, and I hope you give this serious consideration.
- Like many mobile phone users, I love to use m.digg.com when I’m out and about, or just wasting time at work.
Can you add the functionality of being able to bury stories, or to digg and bury comments?
Join the Social Blade show at 7:00 pm PST, 10:00 pm EDT, live.